Powered By Blogger

Thursday 25 April 2013

madness is upon us

April has come and nearly gone, it feels like the year is flying by already.  It's been action packed for sure, lots to keep me busy, specially experimenting with new dishes and putting myself through challenges.  
I have to say, after May, I will be ready to settle down, stop with all the challenges and just be for a while!
Having tried my hand at different plant based philosophies, I have to say my favoured approach is more the low fat mainly raw way of eating.  I just feel better when I eat this way.
The few times that I have craved bread and gave in, I felt bloated and lethargic, and a little bit nauseous.  Not a good feeling to have after you eat.  
I'm also going to be needing some more time as I might be starting a Nutritional Medicine degree!  Yay, I'm so excited to begin, it's now not if, but when.  Trying to figure out how I'm going to juggle family, work, school, exercise and blogging!
It's going to be a challenge but nothing millions of other women haven't done, so I will just have to suck it up!

Speaking of women, I'm going to introduce to those that don't know her already, Loni Jane.
I came across Loni on tumblr and again on Instagram.  Her photos are beautiful, her dishes are so delicious and her story quite inspiring.  I get a vibe that she is a free spirit, but focused as well.  Such a great combination for a human to have.  I've definitely been inspired by her and I keep on being inspired. It helps that she's so open with the information she shares and I'm yet to come across a question she doesn't answer.  
Here she is in her own words.
So I'm 25 and my journey to health started about 2 years ago when I hit rock bottom from a result of picking up dengue fever, CMV virus and parasites from spending a month in rural Thailand (on a huge bender more like it) lol. My party lifestyle and junk food diet finally caught up with me and you could see how sick I was just looking at me, I had acne and skin sores, my eyes were yellow my skin would bruise easily everywhere , my hair was thin and even for a sorta slim person I had cellulite and a gut. And over all I was just and angry person, I was the "oh you only live once" kinda girl. Never took drugs but alcohol was in excessive amounts most days. Yes, most days. I would drink at least 8 out of 7 days and would praise myself if I went a day with out a drink. Everyone in my life knew me as the entertaining piss head, the one that always has a triple southern comfort on the rocks in hand and maccas in the other with a backwards cap on. I had to make a change so I went to get a live blood screening and showed up that my blood was thick and all stuck together, I was full of inflammation, candia, viruses and food particles in my blood. My blood was like clag glue pretty much = not good.  I got some shit advice and went thru so many different ways to eat, high protein, gluten free, high fat, low fat, low carb high carb No carb , fasting, zigzagging and much more. And then finally came across raw food and 80/10/10 lifestyle! Which saved my life!! Eating this way feels so natural to me and I will never look back. 



It took a while for people to realise that I'd changed for good and I wasn't just going thru a health faze. I had to separate myself from the scene completely and I learnt a lot about myself and my habits when I was alone. This was an unreal growth period were I learnt alot about myself.



Anyway, 2-3 years on I'm healthy as ever. Living in the Gold Coast on the beach for the last 4years has helped me see the real beauty that nature has to offer and am lucky to be able to have tropical fruits readily available all year round. I shop local and organic with the awesome markets on every week too! 

I work as a Photographer/designer for an action sports brand and In my spare time (not that I have any) haha I like to come up with new raw vegan creations, read, get outside, take photos,do anything creative,  walk in nature, yoga, go on road trips and holidays! 

My website is www.aleven11.com (which will be up next week)
Tumblr - www.aleven11.tumblr.com
And my instgram @lonijane

And here she answers the OHM questions.


1.  What is your eating philosophy?



80/10/10 80% carbs 10% fat 10% protein . All from raw fruit and vegetables spirited activated nuts and seeds and superfoods. 90% of my lifestyle is this way but I still have cooked vegan food on the odd occasion if raw food isn't avail. 


2.  When and why did you decide to eat this way?

About a year ago the raw lifestyle came into my life and changed my world. I got into health because I got very sick from abusing my body with alcohol, bad food, stress and no sleep. I was living the party lifestyle and my body hated it. I traveled over seas and ended up coming back with dengue fever and parasites which I had for at least 2 years till I found out. I ended up with a poor immune system and caught every bug in the air, I was sick every week. The last straw with me was that i got terribly painful acne on my face, chest and back and also starting to gain weight. I got onto a local naturopath who helped me get back on track with herbal/ vitamin supplements and I got into raw food by watching freeleas videos of YouTube and started with 5 bananas at a time. Then I bought the book 80/10/10 by Doug graham and that really taught me about the high carb low fat lifestyle and I've never looked back! 

3.  Have you noticed any changes since changing your eating philosophy (if any)?

Oh the greatest changes! I would say the biggest change is my view on life, I'm much happier more calm and more grounded. I also had weight loss (toxic build up gone) clear skin, better skin tone, thicker fast growing hair, better digestion and elimination. 

3.  What is your favourite dish to cook? 

I would say a smoothie cause I'm obbsesed with them and if I don't have at least one a day I feel deprived. 'Purple swag' is so delicious - and i think it a great one to introduce people into that don't even eat raw cause it so aesthetically appealing to the eye and smells and tastes Devine!  

4.  What ingredients are a must-have for your fridge/pantry?

Frozen bananas at least one big container, vitamineral Green powder, dates , coconut aminos, coconut water, kale, hemp seeds and apples. I could make breakfast, lunch dinner and snacks with those ingredients. Yum! 

5.  Juices or smoothies?  What do you prefer and what combination?

Oh that's a hard one. I do love smoothies cause they are way more filling and I love my calories! And anything bananas I'm obsessed with. 

6. Sweet or savoury?

Well I've figured out that mornings for me are sweet and afternoons are savoury

Here's Loni's recipe for Purple Swag

5 or more frozen bananas (I use organic) 1/2 cup of raw coconut yogurt, a shit load of frozen organic blueberries, strawberries if you have them, some water and you can add any seeds like hemp seeds, chia seeds etc. blend on high and viola! Delish! 

I made it today for lunch and this is what it turned out like
I didn't have any raw coconut yoghurt so I used the flesh of one young coconut and half the coconut water.  Delicious!

Thanks Loni Jane for sharing so much of your journey with us and if you're not one of her 71K+ followers, then you are truly missing out.  She's awesome, follow her.  #babetown

Now for some recipes!  All recipes serve 1 unless specified.

I've really been enjoying smoothie bowls for breakfast, it's like having the best of 3 worlds: smoothie, fruit, juice.  WIN!

Pink Smoothie Bowl

Ingredients

2 frozen bananas
1 large orange
1/2 cup raspberries
1/4 medium beetroot 

Method

Blend all ingredients until smooth.  I find that the orange makes the liquid so don't add any water until you really need to.  Unless you like it thin that is.
I served it with a green juice, and some fresh kiwi, pomegranate and plums.

Blueberry Smoothie Bowl

Ingredients

1 cup frozen blueberries
3 frozen bananas
3/4 cup water

Method 

Blend until smooth.  Top with your favourite fruit.
The juice is watermelon, carrot, lemon and purple cabbage.

Carrot Cake Smoothie Bowl

Ingredients

3 frozen bananas
5 small carrots or 3 large carrots juiced
2 small apples juiced
1 medjool date
1 tsp of ground cinnamon + extra for garnish
1 TBS of organic raisins
3/4 of juice pulp

Method

Get your pulp and mix it with the raisins. You might have to pick out the stray apple seeds or any chunky bits. Set aside. 
Blend everything else except the extra cinnamon, until super smooth.
Pour in to a bowl, place the pulp mixture around the edges and some in the middle, sprinkle on the extra cinnamon and serve.

Whilst it may not look the part, this is super delicious and filling due to the pulp which I mixed through the smoothie. It really was like eating carrot cake batter!
If you want to, you can add some crushed raw walnuts but I didn't due to the whole food combining thing. I didn't miss it but it would be a nice touch.
Enjoy!!
Vanilla Chia Porridge

Ingredients

Chia gel (1/3 cup chia seeds, 2 cups water)
1 large grated pear
1/2 unsweetened almond milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Desired toppings

Method

Mix 1/2 cup of chia gel with almond milk, grated pear and vanilla.  To reach your desired consistency of porridge you may have to add more chia gel or less almond milk.
Place toppings on top and serve.
I used berries, dates, bananas, goji berries, pomegranate seeds, flax meal and some ground cinnamon.
This is really filling so it's great for when you know you're going to be on the go.

Coconut Chia Pudding & Beet Ice Cream

Ingredients

Chia gel (as above)
1/3 cup coconut water
1 TBS coconut flesh (optional)
3 frozen bananas
1/4 medium beetroot
Choice of fruit
Goji berries and dried coconut to serve

Method

Make the coconut chia pudding by blending the coconut water and coconut flesh together and mixing it through the chia gel.  If you don't have coconut flesh, just do it with the water.
To make the ice cream, just blend the bananas and beet together in a high speed blender to ice cream consistency.
Arrange in a glass or bowl in whatever order you desire.
I did peaches on the bottom, chia pudding, more peaches, kiwi fruit, ice cream and topped it with dried coconut and goji berries.
SO YUM, I can't even tell you!

This next recipe is not actually breakfast, but next time you crave a chocolate fix, why not try them.  They don't have any other fat aside from the naturally occurring good oils found in the nuts.

Raw Vegan Brownies
Makes 8 squares 

Ingredients

Base 

1/2 cup hazelnuts
1/4 cup almonds
1/4 cup pecans 
6-7 medjool dates

Filling

3 ripe bananas
2 1/2 TBS raw cacao powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 medjool dates
1 tsp raw cacao nibs

Method

Base 

Process all ingredients in a food processor until crumbly and press into a tray lined with baking paper. I used a rectangle cake tin.
Place in freezer whilst preparing filling.

Filling 
Blend all ingredients except cacao nibs until smooth. Pour over prepared base and smooth out the top. Sprinkle with cacao nibs and place in freezer to set. About 4 hours or overnight.

I make these and keep them in the freezer for when ever a treat is in order.

Enjoy 
Now for the savoury stuff!

I really love Middle Eastern food. It's by far one of my favourite cuisines. For fresh but rich flavours, you just can't go past it. 
Here's my version of the popular Kousa Mahshi - stuffed zucchini.
I use quinoa instead of rice and add no oil to the cooking process.
Traditionally served with yoghurt, I made a cashew cream to substitute. If you want to keep it fat free, feel free to leave it out.

Vegan Kousa Mahshi

Ingredients

3 Lebanese zuchhini

Filling

1/2 cup diced tomatoes
1/4 cup diced onion
2 cloves of garlic
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 TBS fresh diced parsley
1 TBS fresh diced mint
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
!/4 tsp allspice
!/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
Himalayan pink salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained

Tomato Sauce

2 1/2 tomatoes
5 mint leaves
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp ground cumin
Himalayan pink salt to taste
1 TBS organic tomato paste

Method

Zucchini

Cut off the tops of the zucchini and the dry end. Use a manakra (special tool, looks like a long skinny appler corer) to gut the zucchini, careful not to pierce the skin or the ends. Place in a bowl of salted water once done and set aside.

Filling

Mix all your filling ingredients together and using your fingers or a tiny spoon, fill the zucchinis which you have rinsed and patted dry.

Tomato Sauce

Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Add to a shallow saucepan and heat gently until it begins to simmer. 

Now to put it all together

Add your stuffed zucchini carefully, so that filling stays in, and that sauce just covers them, or comes half way up the sides.
Cover with a lid and leave for about 20 minutes, turn the zucchini over so that the other side cooks.
After 20 minutes, check to see that they are done. The quinoa will look translucent and the zucchini will still be firm but look a little bit opaque.

Serve immediately.

I had it with a baby capsicum salad, dressed with parsley, lime juice, pomegranate seeds and red onion.

With the left over cashew cream, I made this:


Raw Vegan Lasagne

Ingredients

Pasta

1 medium zucchini 
handful baby spinach
1 medium tomato
1 medium carrot

Cashew Cream/Cheese

1/3 cup cashews (soaked & rinsed)
1 clove of garlic
2 TBS finely chopped onion
1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
1/2 cup of water


Tomato Sauce

2 large tomatoes
1 garlic clove
1/4 red onion
1/3 cup red capsicum
1 TBS tomato paste
1 tsp dried oregano 
5 large basil leaves
1 medjool date pitted
1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
1/2 lime juiced
1/2 medium carrot

Pesto

1 zucchini
4 basil leaves
1/4 cup continental parsley
1/4 onion
1/2 lime juiced
1 tsp evoo
Himalayan pink salt and pepper to taste

Method

Pasta

Use a potato peeler to thinly slice zucchini and carrot lengthways to create your pasta.  Thinly slice the tomatoes.  
Set aside.

Cashew Cheese

Blend all ingredients together until thick and creamy, adding more water if needed.  You will have more than what you need so place in an airtight container and place in the fridge until needed.

Tomato Sauce and Pesto Sauce

Blend all ingredients together, adjust seasoning.  You will have more than you need so do as above.

With all your sauces ready, it's time to assemble.
Layer the zucchini, carrot, baby spinach and tomato, add tomato sauce, cashew cheese, and repeat.
You should end with a layer of cashew cheese which you then to with the pesto.

This next recipe is also raw and super easy and fast to make.  Literally just made with the left over veggies in my fridge.

Salsa Filled Zucchini rolls with Persimmon & Spinach & Salad

Ingredients

1 medium zucchini

Salsa

1/2 avocado
1/4 cup chopped red capsicum
1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped cucumber
1/8 cup diced red onion
1/4 cup diced coriander
Himalayan pink salt and pepper to taste
Juice 1/2 lime

Salad

1 persimmon
2 handfuls of baby spinach
left over of the zucchini from above
2 TBS pomegranate seeds
Juice of 1/2 lime
Himalayan pink salt and pepper to taste

Method

Zucchini rolls

Slice your zucchini with a potato peeler to make ribbons.  use the thickest ones to make into rolls.  Place on a plate, I did six.  Put the rest in a medium sized bowl for the salad.

Salsa

Combine all your ingredients in a small bowl gently not to mash the avocado.  Using a small spoon, place filling into zucchini rolls which are already arranged on the plate.

Salad

Mix all your ingredients together and place around the zucchini rolls.

Serve
That bright purple juice is watermelon, purple cabbage and ginger.  The colour is something else!  Pantone, eat your heart out.

This next meal is cooked, but it's a favourite of my eldest daughter.

Gluten Free Vegan Corn Fritters
Makes 10

Ingredients

1 cup Bob Red Mill All Purpose GF Flour
3/4 tsp xantham gum
2 tsp Himalayan pink salt
1 large clove of garlic minced
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup creamed corn* 
1 1/4 cup corn kernels
1 TBS baking powder
1 TBS maple syrup
1/3 cup chopped red capsicum
1/4 cup chopped chives
1/4 cup chopped parsley

Method

Mix the milk and vinegar in a small bowl and put aside.
Sift the flour with xantham gum and baking soda.  Add salt and mix.  Make a well in the centre and add milk, other wet ingredients and veggies.  Mix thoroughly.
Heat a non-stick frying pan and drop about 1/4 cup of batter once the pan is hot.  Turn the heat to low-medium and flip fritter once the bubbles start popping on the top.
No need for absorbent paper as no oil!!

I served it with an avocado salsa like the one in the previous dish, as well as some mashed baked sweet potatoes that I made simply by covering whole unpeeled sweet potatoes with foil, and baking them in the oven until soft to the touch.  The skin just peels off and the flesh is so soft and sweet, you don't even have to mash it that much.  Serious goodness right there!
I can't resist adding some greens, so I also added some broccoli, raw or lightly steamed, your choice.

Hope you liked the meals above and that you try them out.  I've been getting some lovely feedback on the Facebook page and on IG so I know that there are those of you out there who give the recipes a go.  If you have any questions, please ask.  Sometimes I don't write the recipes down when I do them so it may be the case that I left out an ingredient.  My memory is still recovering from motherhood, or is that wishful thinking?!

Need ideas for the left over sauces?  Add them to your salads as dressings.  That's what I do when I'm pressed for time or off to work.  



Also, I'm embarking on a Juice & Detox Festival starting May 1st.  I'm so excited and I just know I'm going to love it, once I get passed the whole no eating solid food thing.
I thought it would be a great way to ease into a juice cleanse as there will still be some chewing action going on with the smoothies.  I feel like I really need it.  
If you haven't noticed, I've gone light on the nuts in this post, that's because I'm trying to lay off them.  A few treats containing nuts here and there are ok, but for me, if I eat them a lot, I get a real feeling of heaviness that is uncomfortable.  I figure I must be eating a lot, and I know it's a mistake a lot of beginner raw foodies make.  So, with that in mind, I'm trying to give my system a break by embarking on this festival.
I will report findings amongst other things, on the next post.
If you want to join and be part of the festival, please head over to the Facebook page for details and best of all, support!
There's a few brave individuals doing it with me.  Strength in numbers I say!

Peas, love and mungbeans

xxb


3 comments:

  1. Great post! We follow her on instagram too and are super excited to see her website. So many Beautiful and inspiring pics. Loved to read all the text!

    Love all the other recipes as well! Love your blog. XX TheRawFoodSisters

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regularmente el consumo de chocolate podría ser beneficioso para las personas con síndrome de fatiga crónica, según un estudio de la Escuela de Medicina del casco York. Las personas que han sufrido con la enfermedad encontraron que tenían más energía cuando se consume alto contenido de cacao.
    Gracias,

    herbal alternative

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog! So many amazing recipes I need to try. Thank you! <3 Love!

    ReplyDelete