Powered By Blogger

Thursday 2 August 2012

S N A C K A T T A C K IDEAS


We all find ourselves reaching for comfort food at times, everyone has something that they prefer.  For me it's always baked goods or crispy chips.

Here's two recipes that should help when the munchies attack.
But remember, just because it's vegan doesn't mean it's not calorific, so portion control is something to keep in mind with the more indulgent treats.

Kale chips

bunch of kale (washed and thoroughly dried)
olive oil (approx. 2 Tbs or more if you have more kale)
2 Tbs nutritional yeast flakes 
sea salt

Preheat an oven to 125 degrees
Tear your kale leaves into bite chunks
mix olive oil, salt and nutritional yeast together.
mix thoroughly through the kale.
I use my hands to make sure each leaf is covered.

Bake for 20 minutes on a tray lined with baking paper.
They are ready when they are crunchy!

I have had some suggestions from other kale chip lovers which include coating them in apple cider vinegar - instant salt and vinegar chips!

Also, for a more oriental flavour, try mixing some tahini with tamari and some grated ginger.

Mmmmm, can't wait to try out these variations.

The best thing about these? Portion control not required :)




Now for some baked goodies!
I adapted the following recipe from one I found here://www.food.com/recipe/vegan-pumpkin-cake-452855
I've reduced the amount of sugar and oil as I also added some sultanas and almond milk.
I suppose it's probably more moist if you added the suggested amount of oil but I found my version was moist enough.

Pumpkin cake squares

Ingredients
1/2 cup brown sugar 
1/3 cup sunflower oil 
1/4 cup rice malt syrup 
1/4 cup almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
2 1/2 cups flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 
1 teaspoon baking soda 
1 teaspoon cinnamon 
1 teaspoon ground cloves 
1/2 teaspoon ginger 
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
2 cups fresh pumpkin cooked and mashed

Method

Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius. 
Grease a square pan. 
Line the bottom with baking paper. 
Place sugar, oil, syrup and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. 
Whisk until sugar is dissolved.  Add sultanas.
In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, spices and salt.
In small alternating portions, add the flour mixture and pumpkin to the liquid ingredients. Begin and end with the flour mixture. Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake 55 minutes to an hour. 









This went perfectly with a large mug of green tea when I needed a little afternoon pick-me-up.



Another favourite snack of mine is corn thins.  You can literally spread anything on them. I love to smear as much avocado as I can and then sprinkle with some dukkah and/or chilli flakes.  Quick, simple, nutritious and delicious.
If I feel like something sweet, I can't go past some unhulled tahini or nut butter and some chopped banana on top.
If hunger strikes and I happen to be out and about, there's always a sushi store around where I pop in for some delicious edamame.
And let's not forget our good friend mr. dark chocolate, although, it's probably best to leave him for very special occasions :)

Would love to hear more snack ideas as I'm always looking to stock up on my munchies arsenal.


Peas, love and mung beans

xxb
















2 comments:

  1. Brenda! I enjoy your blog - very inspiring and well written.

    A good raw-food snack to prepare is a version of the Swedish "chocolate ball" (up until the early 90ies ppl referred to them as "nigger balls". Even though it does not have the same meaning in Swedish, it is highly inappropriate in a global world)

    However. They normally contain butter, sugar, oatmeal and cocoa and covered in an additional layer of sugar. Not very good for you in other words.

    The raw food version I've experimented with contains:

    1 part raisins or dried figs
    1 part dried apricots
    1 part almonds
    Mix together in food processor. Add unsweetened cocoa (as much as you like), manuca honey (can be left out), a tablespoon of water.
    Mix well and add some more water/cocoa/honey until you are happy with texture and taste.

    Add chopped salted peanuts or cashews.
    Roll them up in firm balls, preferred size.
    Cover with seasame seeds and/or shredded organic coconut!

    A good snack to keep in the fridge or bring to work!

    Keep up the good work Bren. :-)
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh, this sounds delicious Maria! I've just got a new food processor so will give this a try tomorrow. Great snack on the go for the girls when they want a sweet little treat too.
      Thank you so much for the recipe, I'll post some pics up when I make them.
      Keep the suggestions coming!
      xx

      Delete